Section for students


What is a DEC?

DEC is the acronym for “diploma of college studies” in French

There are 2 types of programs that can lead to a DEC:

1- Pre-university programs. Two years in length for a total of four semesters, these programs prepare students for university studies.

2- Technical training programs. Three years in length for a total of six sessions, these programs allow students to directly access the work place.

All pre-university or technical programs leading to a DEC have the following courses:

1. general education courses common to all programs:

  • three language and literature courses in the language of instruction for a total of 7 ⅓ units
  • one second language course of 2 units
  • two philosophy or humanities courses for a total of 4⅓ units
  • three physical education courses for a total of 3 units
three language and literature courses in the language of instruction for a total of 7 ⅓ units

2. general education courses specific to the program:

  • one  language and literature course in the language of instruction for a total of 2 units
  • one second language course of 2 units
  • one philosophy or humanities course for a total of 2 units

3. complementary general education courses:
2 courses for a total of 4 units in one of the following fields that are not covered in the specific program:

  • Humanities
  • Science and Technology
  • Modern Languages
  • Math and Computer Science
  • Arts and Aesthetics

4. training specific to the program:

  • 28 à 32 units from pre-university courses
  • 45 à 65 units in technical training courses

N. B. One unit = 45 hours of learning activities (theoretical courses, lab work and assignments)

In order to obtain a DEC, the student must achieve the following objectives:

  • General education units:
    • four language and literature courses (9 ⅓ units)
    • three philosophy or humanities (6 ⅓ units)
    • two second language courses  (4 units)
    • three physical education courses (3 units)
    • two complementary courses (4 units)

  • Program-specific units:
    Pre-university courses (from 28 to 32 units) or technical courses (from 45 to 65 units).

Over and above these course requirements, a student must pass the ministerial examination in language and literature as well as the comprehensive assessment specific to each program.  

What is an AEC?

AEC is the acronym for “attestation of college studies” in French. 

AEC programs are part of continuing education and are destined primarily for adults who wish to add value to their skill set or reorient their career. Based on DEC program curricula, AEC programs do not have general education courses like French, English or Philosophy. AEC’s are generally more flexible that DEC or DEP programs. Often offered during the evening , flexible class times allow students to maintain their professional endeavors and study at the same time.

With an acquired skills recognition system, program coordinators can give academic credit to a student’s prior professional experience. AEC programs can last anywhere between two and six semesters.

In order to be admitted in an AEC program, the student must have sufficient experience in the field and satisfy one of the following conditions:

  • To have interrupted his or her studies for at least 2 consecutive semesters or for one academic year
  • To fall under an agreement between the College and an employer or a government program;
  • To have done at least one year of full-time post-secondary studies, consecutively or not.

You are also admissible to an AEC program if you have a diploma of secondary studies (DES) or a diploma of vocational studies (DEP), and so long as one of the following conditions are satisfied:

  • The program allows you to receive a technical training that is not available in a DEC program.
  • The program is a part of a training agreement between the ministère de l'Éducation, du Loisir et du Sport and another ministry or organization of the Quebec government.
  • To be admitted into an AEC program, you will need, if applicable, to satisfy the particular pre-requisites of a particular program or course, meaning having completed specific secondary level courses and/or any other pre-requisites. Should you be missing any pre-requisites, you may be able to take some remedial courses.

Finally you need to satisfy the particular conditions established by the college. Please not that if you do not have the pre-requisites, your file may still be assessed and considered. If you have any questions, contact Admissions.

What is a DEP?

DEP is the acronym for “diploma of vocational studies” in French.

A DEP program can last anywhere from 600 to 1800 hours and prepares students to train in a profession to directly enter the job market.

In order to be admitted to a DEP program, you must satisfy one of the following conditions:

  • To hold a diploma of secondary studies (DES) or equivalent;


  • to be 16 years old or less on September 30th on the academic year the DEP program begins and have obtained the units for secondary IV language of instruction, second language and math from a study program established by the ministère de l’Éducation, du loisir et du sport du Québec or equivalent;


  • to be 18 years old or more at the beginning of the program and have passed the general development test and all FRA 2033-1 courses or equivalent ;


  • to have obtained units for secondary III language of instruction, second language and math courses from a study program established by the ministère de l’Éducation, du loisir et du sport du Québec.


When do I apply?
Contrary to other college level institutions, application is open all year round. You can choose to do a DEC, AEC or DEP program and apply anytime for the next starting semester.
How do I apply for a program?
To apply for a program at LaSalle College, you can come in person to Admissions at 2000 Sainte-Catherine Street West, ground floor in Montreal or fill out your application on the Omnivox website. For admission instruction, please consult the Future student /Apply online now section of the College website for full details.
How long does it take to assess my file?

Once  all required documents are submitted and your file is complete, it takes 3 to 5 business days for your file to be assessed. If you have missing documents, the admission process will be delayed.

Study options

Study in French or in English?

LaSalle College courses are given in either French or in English, or in both languages. Candidates must therefore have a functional level of one or the other language.

For a DEC program, a candidate must complete a language competency test if his or mother tongue is other than Enlish or French.

French is the official language of instruction in Québec. Studying in French opens almost all doors for the job market in Québec. Having good communication skills in English is obviously also key in developing real-life skills.

LaSalle College is affiliated with the Montréal International Language School (MILC). Le Collège est affilié avec le Centre international de langues de Montréal (CILM). Language courses are available for all students of the College. Visit for more details.

Bilingual programs?
From time to time, it happens that an insufficient number of students register for a program in a specific language. When this occurs, the College combines Anglophone and Fracophone students to make a complete class and the program is taught both in English and French.
Why study evenings?

Many people wonder how it is possible to resume studies and maintain employment at the same time. Whether a person wishes to increase their value in their current workplace or reorient their career completely, studying evenings has several advantages.

If you have the energy and motivation to undergo evening studies, many programs are available at LaSalle College. You will find yourself studying with other people who have the same drive and hunger for knowledge as you.

Who are intensive programs for?

Students who have already completed a college level program are generally admissible for intensive programs.

All general education courses (French, Philosophy, Physical Education, English) and complementary courses are credited. Students can then focus on completing only the courses that are specific to a program. Intensive programs last a maximum of 2 years.

Who are regular programs for?
If you just finished secondary V and you want to pursue college level studies, a regular program is ideal for you. Regular programs are complete with both general and specific courses and last anywhere from two to three years.


How can I finance my studies?

The government places at your disposition a student loans and bursaries program. For more details, please visit our Loans and bursaries section on the College website. You can also meet with our financial advisors who are able to assist you throughout your loan application. They are also qualified to provide financial guidance during your studies.

N.B. For international students, financial aid is limited. Most bursaries are reserved for permanent residents or Canadian citizens studying full time. Consult the International students section on the College website or meet one of our advisors.


What is a CAQ?
CAQ is the acronym for “Québec Acceptance Certificate” in French. You will also need a study permit in order to study at LaSalle College.
What documents are required to study in Québec?

If you want to study in Québec, you need the following documents:
  1- Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) for studies
  2- A study permit

The College will ask you to provide the following documents:

3- an official copy of your birth certificate
4- a copy of your high school diploma or equivalent
5- a copy of your last academic transcript

You’ll notice that a proof of health and medical insurance must be provided. The cost of this type of insurance is covered by the college. Upon arrival, we will guide you the obtainment of your insurance card.

How can I obtain a CAQ?

This process can take up to 12 weeks so we strongly recommend you begin this process IMMEDIATELY. We also recommend that at the same time, you begin the process for obtaining your study permit in order to save time. If you already have your CAQ but it is expired, you must reapply and get a new one.

Once the College receives your application and your initial payment, we will send you an official acceptance letter. At this time, you will be able to start your CAQ process. 
1) Download the form here:
2) Complete and sign the CAQ application form.
3) You must provide a recent passport picture of yourself.
4) The fees to open and assess your CAQ file is $101 CAD. The payment can be made by credit card or money order to the ministère des Finances du Québec. Do not send a personal check because it could be refused and slow down the application process. If you cannot pay these fees with a credit card at your local Canadian embassy, you may add this amount to your first semester’s tuition fee payment and we will make the payment for you.
5) You must provide a photocopy of your passport clearly showing your name, photo, expiry date and passport signature.
6) You must provide the ORIGINAL copy of the College acceptance letter.
7) Although you have not provided proof of health insurance, Immigration Québec strongly recommends that you be insured. By attending LaSalle College, you will automatically be enrolled in a health insurance plan.
8) For any additional document that may be required, refer to the CAQ application form.

Information and application form for the obtainment of the CAQ:

Sending your CAQ
Immigration Québec
Service des étudiants étrangers
285 Notre Dame West. Suite G-15
Montréal, Québec H2Y 1T8 Canada
514 864-9191 (within Canada)
514 864-9231 (outside of Canada)

What is a study permit and how can I get one?

Once you have received your CAQ, you can begin the process for obtaining a study permit (visa), a mandatory document in order for you to study in Canada. You can acquire it directly from a Canadian embassy near you.

To obtain a study permit, here are the required documents*:

1) A CAQ
2) A valid passport
3) The original copy of your acceptance letter from the College;
4) A proof of sufficient funds to cover the accrued costs of studying (tuition fees, personal expenses, etc.) The Canadian embassy also requires you present a copy of your past bank statements over the last 4 months to prove that you have sufficient funds to cover expenses related to studies. Please contact Immigration Québec for complete details.
5) A medical certificate
6) A police certificate

Please inquire with your local Canadian embassy for details related to payment.

*Please be aware that the required documents for the obtainment of your study permit may vary from country to country. Be sure to inquire at your local Canadian embassy.

Once you have satisfied all the criteria and that your file has been assessed, the Canadian visa office will send you an introduction letter. This letter is NOT the study permit. By this time, you should have received your acceptance letter from LaSalle College. Don’t forget that you must present these 2 letters along with proof of financial support at Canadian customs upon arrival at the airport in Canada. It is at the airport that your study permit will be generated. Do not leave your country for Canada without having the introduction letter in hand.

Please visit the International students section of the College website for additional information.

Join our community